Technology is a very important part of teaching and learning in our schools today. It is a very useful tool, but does not assume that students with technology will be more successful in the classroom. It is crucial that as a teacher, I know how to use technology for several reasons. First of all, students will expect technology to be used. Videos, pictures, powerpoints, etc. will help me appeal to a wide variety of learners. It will keep the students' attention. However, more importantly, I must teach my students how and when to use technology. Given the right circumstances, the internet can lend itself to learning on students' own time. For instance, it is much easier for students to do research on the internet than it is for them to go to a library. Moreover, students will need to be proficient with technology for the job market after school. Future employers will almost certainly demand a sufficient understanding of technology from new hires. In the classroom, the more I can involve the students, the better. If they are participating and I resist classes which are only lectures, I will have better results as a teacher.
In addition, there are many differences between digital natives and immigrants. Natives are much more familiar and used to using technology. Therefore, they are more comfortable turning first to technology to solve problems. For instance, they may turn immediately to the internet to find the answer of a questions instead of the library. On the other hand, an immigrant may turn to technology only after he or she has exhausted all other options.
No comments:
Post a Comment